What is High School Like in 2023?

Being a student in high school in 2023 means that teenagers are involved in politics now more than ever before. Reports have indicated that political engagement by American high schoolers has surged to a historical high. Laws regarding education and more topics that impact young Americans are being established by adults who won’t face the direct impacts of such changes. Gender identity, banned books, gun restrictions, and climate change, are all topics that are front and center of headlines, but all of these affect the kids of our generation more than anyone else

Iowa High Schoolers Learning to Register to Vote, Captured by Radio Iowa

The impact of politics on high school education is significant. Students have been increasingly engaging in political discussions due to increasing political changes. Education is inherently political. However, because there are so many changes regarding curriculum in high school, for example, book bans and lesson restrictions, students are more likely to be involved in discussions regarding the political climate for it affects them greatly. This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. Students engaging in educational conversations with each other is important, and politics often correlates to topics students learn about in history and English, such as political processes, the history of how certain rules and regulations came about, and even the society that impacted the writing in many of the classics part of the high school curriculum. The disadvantage of these changes is the restrictions they place within classrooms. Avoiding controversial topics inhibits learning, and creates an uncivil school environment, for it creates uneasy relationships between, teachers, parents, and students.

Students Protesting Book Bans, Captured by National Education Association
Politics have not merely caused poor relationships, but social division. Teachers surveyed in a study conducted by UCLA stated they struggle to create a safe environment for all students due to political tensions, especially regarding LGBTQ rights, immigration, and health care. Furthermore, additional research conducted by the New York Times asked various high schoolers of different backgrounds their opinions on politics and how they have changed over the last four years. It was found there were major differences between the opinions of students based on gender and race. For example, when asked, white males stated they felt the government represented them and had their best interests in mind. However, when female students of color were asked the same question, almost all felt the direct opposite. This division among students risks creating an unsafe environment in schools. Hostility, due to politics, among students has increased dramatically in the past decade, most notably in districts where there are many Republicans and Democrats alike. Most of these conflicts are regarding the rights of LGBTQ students and racism. When asked about such conflicts, principals across America have stated that a large portion is between students with differing political opinions. 
Opinion Piece by Haley Pathmaprakashan

4 thoughts on “What is High School Like in 2023?”

1. I love how informed and formal that this piece sounds. It is very well-written and the topic is something that I also think is very important. I wonder why you think that these issues have raised so much in the past few years; do you think it could possibly have something to do with covid? I think there could maybe be another sentence to conclude the essay and wrap up your ideas to bring it all together.

2. It’s really creative that your images are on the side, which integrates itself into the words better. I also really like this straightforward language that logically brings a strong message. Is your solid opinion stated here or is this just a hard topic to pick sides on, as you mentioned? I think the last paragraph can be divided, so that it becomes less confusing for people with short attention spans like me!

3. Haley, you did really well with supporting your claims and using evidence that was relevant.
    Do you think Ames High has a hostile environment was the politics are discussed?
    I think you could provide more of a personal anecdote, and give your experience.

4. I like the topic you chose, its very blunt, but in a good informative way. I don’t have any big questions, but one thing I noticed is that you seem to repeat a lot of the same thing in the same paragraph.